New Graduate Student Orientation
The School of Engineering hosts an orientation for new graduate students during the fall and spring semesters. All incoming graduate students are welcome to attend orientation. The Engineering Management program, housed on the Edwards Campus in Overland Park, KS hosts a separate orientation, and these students are not expected to attend the Lawrence campus session. Part-time students in the civil, environmental, and architectural engineering department are also excused from attending orientation. The Edwards Campus also host an orientation for incoming students.
Orientation offers students an opportunity to meet graduate students and faculty, receive enrollment assistance, and obtain information about KU, the city of Lawrence, and the community. In addition, most departments host individual sessions, where students can connect with faculty, staff, and students in their area of interest.
*If you plan to attend the Lawrence Campus New Graduate Student Orientation, please complete RSVP at https://engr.ku.edu/online_forms/forms/orientation least three weeks prior to the event date.
Spring 2014 Orientation
Thursday, Jan. 16 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Spahr Engineering Classroom, Room 2 Eaton Hall - across from main Engineering Dean’s Office (Classes start Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2014.) Lunch will be provided from noon to 1 p.m. in the Spahr Engineering Library. Invitations will be sent out in late November to those who have accepted admission. Reminders will be sent one week prior to event date.
- 10 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. – Orientation Check-in
- 10:15 a.m. to 10:40 a.m. – RGP: Enrollment to Graduation
- 10:40 a.m. to 11 a.m. – Graduate Engineering Association / Engineering Graduate Ambassadors
- 11 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. – Break
- 11:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. – Career Services: Jobs, Internships, Resumes, and More
- 11:30 a.m. to 11:40 a.m. – Graduate Writing Program
- 11:40 a.m. to noon – Final Questions and Wrap-up
Departmental / Program Sessions
- Aerospace Engineering - 1 p.m. in 2120 Learned Hall
- Bioengineering - 1 p.m. in 5109 BERC Conference Room
- Chemical & Petroleum Engineering - 1 p.m. in 4161 Learned Hall
- Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering - No Orientation (if you need assistance go to 2150C Learned Hall)
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science - 1 p.m. in 2001 Eaton Hall
- Engineering Management - 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 9, Edwards Campus, Regnier Hall
- Mechanical Engineering - 1 p.m. in 3131 Learned Hall
Edwards Campus Orientation -6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 9, Regnier Hall
Please plan to attend the KU Edwards Campus Spring 2014 Orientation and Enrollment Program from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 9, in the Regnier Hall lobby. Check-in begins at 5:30 p.m. More information is available at here.
During the Edwards Campus Orientation and Enrollment Program, you will be able to:
- Meet with a representative from your academic unit for an overview of your program and prepare for enrollment
- Enroll for classes with the assistance of the University Registrar
- Speak with a representative from Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Learn about academic and support services available to you as a student
- Get your KU ID Card
- Visit the KU Bookstore in Jayhawk Central
KU Graduate Studies - Jayhawk Welcome and Information Fair
The KU Office of Graduate Studies, which oversees all graduate programs at KU, hosts a Jayhawk Welcome and Information Fair. To learn more about this orientation event and other sources available to incoming graduate students, click here.
New Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) Orientation – 8:00 a.m., Jan. 14, Budig Hall
The KU Office of Graduate Studies and Center for Teaching Excellence host a mandatory orientation for new Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) each semester. More information is available here.
Orientation for International Students
International students should also check the International Student and Scholar Services page to learn about important pre-arrival and orientation information here.
More information about KU and Lawrence is available here.
Future Orientation Information:
Fall 2014: 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 21, in the Spahr Engineering Classroom, Room 2 Eaton Hall - across from main Engineering Dean’s Office (Classes start Aug. 25, 2014.) Lunch will be provided from noon to 1 p.m. in the Spahr Engineering Library. Invitations sent out first week of June, reminder sent two weeks prior to event date.
KU Graduate Studies Orientation - For all graduate students admitted to KU
General questions about orientation should be directed to:
Darcey Nance, Graduate Program Assistant